- Program Manager
- Based in Hong Kong with periodic travel to mainland China.
Scope of China & Hong Kong Programs:
- Building the capacity of local non-governmental organizations (NGOs);
- Developing processes and methodologies to improve the quality and scope of citizen input into government decision-making;
- Increasing transparency, open government information, and access to information on regulatory processes;
- Encouraging legal reform, public interest law and capacity development for legal actors.
- Serve as NDI’s local representative and assist with public outreach.
- Provide day-to-day management of Hong Kong and China programs and oversee program implementation, sub-grants to local partners and compliance with financial and reporting requirements.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with local partners, international organizations, academic and research institutions, and donor organizations.
- Contribute to the planning, design and evaluation of projects in collaboration with local partners, the Washington DC headquarters and external experts.
Skills & Experience:
- 6+ years in issue-based advocacy, organizational development, law or program management.
- A demonstrated interest in Hong Kong and Chinese politics, human rights and the rule of law.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field expected; graduate degree in a related field desired.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, maturity and cultural understanding to effectively interact with all levels of staff and partners in both Western, mainland China and Hong Kong contexts.
- Self-starter, motivated and able to work autonomously and efficiently in a thinly-staffed office.
- Fluency in Cantonese, Putonghua and English.
- Strong writing skills in English.
- Seasoned budget and accounting skills preferred.
- Hong Kong residency a plus-factor.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
About the Institute:
The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is a nonprofit organization established in 1983 working to strengthen and expand democracy worldwide. Calling on a global network of experts, NDI provides practical assistance to civic and political leaders advancing democratic values, practices and institutions. NDI works in every region of the world to help build political and civic organizations and to promote citizen participation, openness and accountability in government. For more information, see www.ndi.org.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for two references to NDI via email to David Caragliano, Senior Program Officer at email@example.com by November 9, 2012. No phone calls please.